Wednesday, December 6, 2017

DIY Sectional Couch Pottery Barn Makeover

It's amazing how you can change a couch with a DIY Painter's canvas slipcover!!  Not only is it a slipcover but I also ripped it down to the wood and replaced all the cushions and it was so worth it!!  I love Pottery Barn and especially their couches.  However a new couch was not in my immediate future!  Instead I spent $450 in total to basically have a new couch exactly how I wanted it.  

We ordered this couch online but have never really been happy with it... it was hard as a rock to sit on and the back pillows were so hard and huge that it felt like you were sitting straight up and down.  The cushions were all attached and began to come apart... at first I tried to sew them back onto the frame ... until I was over that and... 






 I woke up one day and decided to tear the whole thing apart even the cushions and basically just use the frame.  I searched on Pinterest and youtube for anyone that had replaced all of their cushions to get some idea of how to go about it but I could literally find nothing!!!  That didn't stop me though... seriously how hard could it be to make your own cushions ... add down cushions to that ... because if I'm tearing this thing apart I'm going big or going home... so somehow I need to figure out how to make a down topper for my cushions as well.  
I truly had no idea how to recover my couch but after doing some research felt like I was going in a good direction.   If you are considering redoing your couch.... DO IT!  It was so worth it.  It's going to be scary at first and cause a few extra wrinkles but its totally doable!!
First I deconstructed the couch down to the frame.  Then I covered the back in batting that I just stapled right to the wooden frame.  No real measuring was done, I just stapled it on and trimmed off the excess. 
Next I bought the thickest piece of foam I could at Joann Fabrics and had them cut it down in the store but had to do a few more cuts at home with a saw.  
Smooth sailing so far until the down topper ... I knew I wanted one but was unsure how to go about it.  I watched a couple youtube videos but again could not find anything exactly like I wanted.  I don't know how it happened but I suddenly remembered I had an extra down comforter that was a twin size... well what the heck why not use that?!  If you read nothing else in this post ... read this... DO Not Cut Down Comforter in Half Without Sewing it Closed on both sections.  Not that I tried that or felt like I inhaled an entire duck by the time I was done or had feathers covering the entire dining room floor... but just saying incase YOU were thinking about trying that. ;)




             
                                                
After cutting apart the comforter I sewed up the two sections with bias tape around the edges.  I wanted to make sure the sides would be sealed and the feathers would not continuously escape.



 


Then I attached an elastic band that would keep it in place around the foam.  I'm sure there is a much prettier way to do this but I was all about results!! I had to have the down topper!

Now I was ready to start the actual slip cover... I bought several painters canvases ... bleached them and washed and dried them twice.  When you first feel them they are super scratchy but I promise you after bleaching washing and drying they are so soft and smell great!!!

This blog post was super helpful with making the slipcover!  I started by laying my fabric over the back of the couch almost to the floor... mine didn't need to reach the ground because I knew I was going to put a skirt on.  And from there it was just pinning and sewing section by section.

After I had the slipcover finished I bought euro down pillows (seriously I'm obsessed with the down!!)  from Joann Fabric on a 50 % off sale and made zippered pillow covers from the painters canvas and zippered covers for the cushions.  There are tons of tutorials on Pinterest for easy zippered pillow covers.

Heres after the first section was done!

                                     

Taking off the back cushions made the couch so much deeper!  Now we just sink into it.  It's just perfect to cuddle up on!  We used to never sit on this couch and now all five of us sit on it all the time!

Questions and comments are always welcome!  Thanks for stopping by!




No comments:

Post a Comment